We offer language tuition in English, French or German at all levels; individual English coaching and consultation sessions for academics; and academic writing workshops.
Whether you are looking to
- build your language skills for academic or commercial purposes,
- learn about a language and its associated culture,
- or simply just want to gain or improve your conversational ability,we can adjust our tuition sessions to suit your needs.
English coaching and consultation for academics
Our individual English language coaching and consultation sessions are specifically designed for academics and tailored to help them achieve their individual ambitions. We offer three options:
Option 1: Academic writing
This structured course explores the features and style of academic papers written in English, and how best to communicate your message. It also covers the writing process, grammar and punctuation. We will set and review writing assignments.
Option 2: Academic speaking
This course addresses the features of academic speaking in English in a variety of formats including conference presentations, discussion groups and lectures. It also looks at matters of English grammar and pronunciation. We will set and review speaking exercises.
Option 3: Tailored writing consultations
During writing consultations, we work with you to revise and linguistically improve your academic paper. We identify, discuss, and correct errors in grammar, while also looking at the issues of style, structure and argumentation raised by your writing.
Academic writing workshops
Today, academic publishing usually means publishing in English. Our bespoke academic writing workshops are tailored to your research area, and focus on the form and style of papers written in English in your field.
Workshops are delivered on request and offered on site in Germany, the UK and beyond.
Download our current Rates Sheet and Terms & Conditions.
- "I had a new job in which I was required to go out to Germany on a regular basis. Although I had previously lived in Germany, I was in need of a refresher course - and a tutor. I was very fortunate to find Thandi – she is passionate about the German language, loves to teach it and is sensitive to the requirements and abilities of the student. I would recommend her to anyone wanting to learn, or improve, their German."
Ian Collier-Webb Continue Reading →
- "My experience of learning German with Birgit has been superb. I am a big fan of using technology and open access resources to supplement my learning – such as apps, audiolessons, YouTube etc. However, the core of my learning has really been the high quality 1-2-1 lessons with Birgit. This has given me an academic shape to the process, but also has given me a really sharp focus on what aspects of my learning I should use tech to reinforce and accelerate. This combination has worked brilliantly, my progress has been really good and I feel as though I am moving through the process really quickly. I happily recommend Birgit to any prospective language learners!"
David Maloney, Tata Steel Europe Continue Reading →
- "As I wanted to ensure I could secure a top grade in my German A level, Birgit tutored me for several weeks ahead of the exams. While I am a German native speaker, I still greatly benefited from her help as her tutoring sessions were challenging and Birgit gave me constructive criticism on the work I submitted. She made sessions fun and personal, more like a conversation than a lesson. With Birgit’s help, I was able to achieve an A* at German A level. I would definitely recommend her tutoring services."
Jason Dierker, Student at the University of Warwick Continue Reading →
- "Birgit is an exceptional teacher: clear when both instructing and explaining, sensitive to students' needs and always prepared to be flexible in her approach. She was quick to assess what I wanted from a twice-monthly German lesson and has consistently provided relevant, accessible and interesting material for me to work on. Our lessons are a stimulating mix of linguistic investigation, and wide-ranging dialogue, during the course of which she instinctively tailors her spoken German to what she feels I can cope with: her language is always precise and constructively challenging."
Andrew Stephenson (Retired English teacher, formerly Wellington School, Somerset) Continue Reading →
- "When I met Birgit at a “Boost your German Day”, I decided there and then that she could greatly improve my conversational German - but I really did not expect to improve to the level I am at today. I have found Birgit’s conversation group really helpful and great fun, and the individual lessons we have had on Skype have motivated me and developed my German even more.
Birgit’s real gift to me has been to get me to think in German, and so speak naturally, without having to plan every word I say. She constantly shows me right from wrong in modern, everyday German, always with an encouraging smile. She also helps me speak freely when I am expressing some idea or other in German. My increasing fluency is a daily source of pleasure to me as I improve through books, television, radio, podcasts, magazines and, above all, really enjoyable conversations with Birgit. I would highly recommend her to enthusiasts like me."
Rod Smith, Insurance trainer, Intrinsik Training Ltd Continue Reading →